Meet our new cross-country skiing coach, Christopher Rose! Chris will be helping our Devo XC program this season and has a 12-year-old son in the program. Chris began cross-country skiing in the 90’s to stay fit for mountain biking and has served as president of the New York State Ski Racing Association (NYSSERA) for cross-country skiing and was an active member of the board until 2017. When asked why Chris was so excited to work with NYSEF, he said, “I have been involved in skiing and endurance sports for a long time. I am excited to share my knowledge and experience with the next generation of athletes; and I look forward to seeing these young athletes mature and become lifelong competitors and outdoor enthusiasts.” We are so excited to have Chris involved in our programs! Learn more from Chris at nysef.org/news!
- Full Name: Christopher Rose
- Hometown: Peru, NY
- Connection to NYSEF: I have a 12-year-old son who is involved in the Devo program.
- Love of snowsports/history of skiing: I began cross country skiing in the mid-1990s to stay fit for mountain bike racing; and it did not take long for me to fall in love with skiing and ski racing. Eventually, I became involved with the New York State Ski Racing Association (NYSSRA) and served as its president from 2006 to 2009 and on its executive board from 2010 to 2017. I also helped found the Peru Nordic Masters as a way for older athletes to share their enthusiasm of skiing.
- What have I learned that I can bring to NYSEF: Throughout my years of competing I have learned that you need to be a true student of the sport. Staying up to date on technique and training methodology is extremely vital if you want to maximize your potential and excel. I have also learned that an athlete needs to be patient. Success comes in many forms and oftentimes there are setbacks. It is the mark of a true athlete on how to manage these setbacks, adjust and keep moving towards your goals. Lastly, and most importantly, I have learned you have to enjoy what you are doing. Sports are about having fun, being outside, making friends and pushing your limits.
- Why am I excited to work with NYSEF? What am I looking forward to? With age comes wisdom. I have been involved in skiing and endurance sports for a long time. I am excited to share my knowledge and experience with the next generation of athletes; and I look forward to seeing these young athletes mature and become lifelong competitors and outdoor enthusiasts.
- What do I like to do in my “free” time? Being a husband, father of two children and six cats, as well as a full-time teacher there is not much free time to spare. However, I enjoy playing music with my band, spending time with friends and family and traveling as much as possible.
- Additional thoughts: I have been a middle school teacher for 21 years. I have a lot of experience and I relate very well to this age group. I will use my experience from my years of being in the classroom to work with the athletes of NYSEF.